Monday, April 22, 2024

To "Affinity" and Beyond

Tonight I began a 7-week course called, "Living Undivided." 

I've let the topic of race sit mostly untouched for a year and am feeling the need to press into it again. 

Choosing to discuss emotional, personal, and potentially conflict-inducing topics is not something my personality type enjoys, but is, I believe, something all followers of Jesus are called to do. Contrary to popular opinion, ignoring topics because they may be volatile or not addressing an obvious difference of perspective/experience does not build healthy communities nor generate good will among us. 

I've also learned that (for me), simply reading a book about 'racism in America' is not going to challenge me in the way I am desiring - I need people-interaction. I need conversation. I need to sit and talk with an Imago Dei - the image of God expressed in a person who has a different background and experience than me. 

The "easy" thing: read a book.

The "hard" thing: talk with a person different than me.

Hence: I signed up for this class hoping to get into some uncomfortable conversations. 

One topic on my mind recently is the struggle of ethnic segregation on Sunday mornings. Decades ago, Dr. Martin Luther King described 11 am on Sunday morning as, "one of the most segregated hours..." I dare say not much has changed. There may be a few more outliers here and there, but in general, we're just as segregated as we were 60-years ago. Over the last 9-months, Bret and I have attended white church, black church, Armenian church, Mennonite church, Lao church, Hispanic church, and Ukraine church. Though we enjoyed many of these experiences, I feel like we're missing something... 

I've been thinking a lot about church these days; reflecting on what 'works' and what doesn't, what needs to be thrown out and what needs to be saved, what needs revamping and what needs to be burnt up. The topic of ethnicity and how our ethnicity connects and divides us has been stirring in my heart. As I began this class tonight, with church structure and culture on my brain, I was not surprised to have an experience to further my processing.

Over the course of the 7-weeks, participants will experience three types of groups:

1. Large Group - in this space, all participants share with the whole group about the topic at hand.

2. Small Groups - participants are strategically placed into 'mixed' groups with multiple ethnicities so that a variety of voices and perspectives can be heard.

3. Affinity Groups - participants gather into groups of like-minded/shared-experienced people. 

I noticed a huge difference in my experience between the Small and Affinity Group. In the Small Group, I didn't talk too much - I didn't want to over-talk and I was also worried I would say something that might be offensive and/or say something that might be hurtful. Though my intentions were not to hurt anyone, I am well aware of my hidden bias but don't know when it will show itself. 

My remedy =  not to talk! 

Then no one gets hurt and I've done nothing, "wrong." WRONG! I'm not going to get any better at engaging other people from other cultures if I don't put my foot in my mouth from time-to-time and learn from my mistakes...which is the very purpose of this class: to provide a safe space to learn to interact with people from different backgrounds.

In the Affinity Group, I had a much easier time sharing. I felt relaxed and comfortable...which brought my thoughts back to our segregated churches.

Do we create these segregated spaces because of our weariness of the "Small Group" experience during our week? Constantly watching our words and being careful of feelings indeed gets tiring. It's no wonder when we create spaces to be with the 'Family of God' that we're going to want to be part of a group that allows us to come out from behind our walls, relax and be together without having to explain or give a back-story. 

But do we experience change in Affinity Groups?

I joined a Fit Body Bootcamp six weeks ago and the coach continues to challenge us to add more weight. "The results are in the burn," he's always saying. If we want to get results, we can't passively choose what is easy, but instead we must push ourselves into discomfort - sometimes even pain.

Ruth Haley Barton from my Transforming Community talks extensively about being aware of where we feel resistance. Oftentimes, God is in those places of resistance desiring to open a door to some part of us that has been closed off to God's presence and is in need of transformation. 

To put all these thoughts together then:

I came face-to-face with the reality that though Affinity Groups are easier, we will not be transformed in those spaces. 

Though going to church with like-minded, similar experienced people will feel like family, the Kingdom of God offers a different challenge, a challenge to be transformed into the image of God. This happens in our interactions and relationships with people different than us. 

My thoughts progress to Acts and Galatians and consider the Early Church's struggle of incorporating Gentiles into their communities. Being a Jewish-Christian was hard enough, but having to relate to a Gentile-Christian was an entirely different level. The addition of Galatian-Christians forced the early Christians to consider what part of their faith was embedded in their culture and what was truly the Gospel. Should there be, "Jewish-Christians" and "Gentile-Christians?" Roman-Christians and "Corinthian-Christians?" Are there commonalities that link the groups together? Shaking out faith and culture is a challenge for all of us and needs to be something we are constantly re-evaluating to be sure we're not limiting the Gospel to our own cultural distinctions.

Interesting that this, "Living Undivided" class incorporates both types of groups, Small Group and Affinity Group, recognizing we do have a need to connect with people similar to us - as a place to take a breath and encourage each other - but offering the space where the real work is done - in the Small Group with a mix of people from different places and different experiences learning to listen, to talk, and to share life together. 

Affinity groups are great and fill a need, but growth and transformation happens in "affinity and beyond..."

or at least, that's what I took home as my lesson tonight. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment